Monday, February 27, 2012

Faith.....

Good morning from Santiago!  I tried to write this post last night but honestly I could not find the words to say.  This is the emotional part of the trip where two worlds start to collide and your heart and mind struggle to find a way to connect it all.

This is where I need FAITH.  My heart has been broken this week.  My family grew bigger.  I have nothing but admiration and love for Gregoria.  She is such a strong woman and so brave.  Her story has touched me in so many ways and I still wish we had time and resources to do more for her.  But I know that she is a child of God's and He loves her infinitley more than I do.  He has her and her precious children in his hands.  So I believe that and trust in that.  That is the Faith I will rely on today as we begin to say goodbye to this place and these people I have come to love so dearly.  I will recall over and over again the images of this week in my mind.  Vilma and Gregoria working so hard everyday at their looms.  The incredible smile that radiated so much joy as Gregoria looked through the window of her new home on thursday.  The excitement of the family as we brought in the groceries, cots and other items that you the church helped provide.  The time I spent with Esteban shoveling sand as he giggled 'help me' in spanish and reading books to the neighborhood kids.  So many pictures in my mind, so many memories.  Faith......
Gloria and Brother Tomas.

And yet as I prepare to leave Santiago today and head back first to Guatemala City and then home, my heart is aching to see my family.  I miss their smiles, hugs from my kids, talking with Corey, and yes even letting the dogs in and out the back door several times a day.  The flight home tomorrow will take an eternity.  I have chosen this visit not to take the meds I usually need for flying.  I think the excitement of coming (and Barrett talking to me for distraction) helped ease my nerves on the way here.  But tomorrow I will be tired, anxious and ready to be home.  I am already nervous about the flights.  Faith........

Cruz and his family.
I will be returning in July. It will be a different trip as the things we will be doing are slightly different than this one.  Much prayer is needed as we ask for God's guidance on how we should proceed.  There are still many ways we can help this community and talking with Pastor Diego has created a new excitement for that.  Again, Faith........

Knowing I will return soon helps as I continue to say goodbye to the people here who help us each time and have a special place in my heart.  Nino, our server, Josue, our driver, Gloria, our translator, guide, my roommate and wonderful friend!  Faith.... 

So although there is not one lesson I have learned, God definitely spoke the word FAITH to me for so many reasons.  And I will use that to continue to grow in my love for Him and the people around me; at home and across the country. 

The team before heading inside to church.
And as I finish typing this to you, God yet again shouts FAITH to me.  A prayer card from JoAnn.  Matthew 9:29 "Then he touched their eyes and said, 'according to your faith, will it be done to you."  Hebrews 11:1 "Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you cannot see."

I am certain part of my heart will remain here and I am certain God is watching over our new family.  Most of all I am certain and look forward to the day I will see each of them as brothers and sisters in His Kingdom.

FAITH...........



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to post some pics and your thoughts. I know it's hard to say good-bye and leave the people you've been loving on. Good-byes are always a bummer. I pray safe travel for you and we look forward to your return.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete